Monday, August 19, 2013

SJT2: Advanced Networking Technology

The first course I took was SJT2. Being a network engineer, I thought this would be the best way to start: on familiar grounds in my comfort zone. Initially, I started reading all the recommended chapters and books. However, after a while I found that the Advanced in "Advanced Networking Technology" is not exactly true. For anyone who works in the networking field, this course will be at the associate level (think CCNA, JNCIA).



This does not necessarily mean that the performance assessment is easy. Not even close. While things like OSPF are touched only on the surface (V-E-B bits, anyone? Oh wait, it's not in there), there is a lot of information for someone without a technical background. The performance assessment requires the candidate to integrate all pieces together. If the course material are the pieces of the puzzle, the performance assessment is to complete it. It requires not only think about the network, but also presenting it in a way that someone would understand.

My paper was 12 pages including the references (none). I started off with a general overview of the solution (and included the diagram), and slowly progress into the details as required by the task. I combined tasks A and C in one diagram, and had a separate written section for tasks B and C, and D. So in total I had 3 sections, one for the diagram, one for task B and C, and one for task D. My work was accepted the first time.

It is useful to print the evaluation rubric, to make sure all requirements are met in the task.

No comments:

Post a Comment