Wednesday, August 21, 2013

MCT2: Technical Writing

The technical writing course was again something close to my field of expertise. In real life I was leading the design and testing of a business solution and that required an extensive amount of technical writing. The timing could not have been better.



The performance assessment consisted of 3 tasks.

Task 1 requires you to submit a document from your working environment, evaluate it with regards to the use of technical writing principles, and propose changes. I submitted my employer's "Wireless connecting guide", as this was quite generic and not proprietary. I submitted a 6 page paper on it, without approx 1 page dedicated to the intended audience, a small section for the genre conventions, a section for the effectiveness of the document design, about half a page for the print considerations, a two-liner part for online access and half a page for improvements. This work was returned asking for more detail on a few sections. My revisions included more details on the genre conventions and online access. This revision was accepted.

Again, the tip of the day here is to use the evaluation rubric to ensure that you've fulfilled all parts of the task. I failed to do so, hence my work was returned.

Task 2 is a bigger task and requires you to create your own manual and has multiple deliverables. In this case, my work was returned as well. The evaluator described the document as a solid foundation, but more details were required in a few sections. In addition to that, I was using the wrong style. My style was similar to this piece, where I use "you, we, I". Instead, I was recommend not to use "personal pronouns" (English being my second language, I had to Google that first). The revision was accepted.

Task 3 was a bigger task as well and required an outline and a presentation. I found a WGU template for powerpoint presentations and used that, and made sure to include a picture on each slide. Here is an example:










Yes, it is small on purpose, it would be a shame if you're work was rejected for plagiarism :)



This time, my work was accepted without any revisions.

1 comment: