Monday, August 19, 2013

About the enrollment process...

Enrollment at WGU is a chapter by itself. I am a lawful permanent resident (aka greencard holder), so I had to get my foreign credentials evaluated as well as take the TOEFL test.

The first item on my to-do list, evaluating my foreign credentials, is a challenge by itself. Step one is to find an accredited evaluator. I choose WES (World Education Services), at www.wes.org. Next, I had to get my foreign institutions to send all coursework and diploma descriptions to WES directly, in a sealed envelope. WES then verified all documents and performed a course-by-course analysis. Once WES gave their final stamp of approval, they sent it directly to WGU. The good thing about this is that I was not the man in the middle, forwarding envelopes with documentation. The bad thing was that this turned out to be a lenghty procedure.

The second thing to do was to take the TOEFL test, test of English as a foreign language. I took the test in Berkeley, at a dormitory-like institution where I think I was the only non-resident test taker. There were a bunch of foreigners who apparently lived there and studies English. I finished the test before the first break, and passed with a score of 115 (out of 120) without any preparation. Since my name is not Einstein, I can only conclude that the test is quite easy. The test center sent the results directly to WGU.

Once all that paperwork was complete, it was time for WGU's collegiate readiness exam. This was the part where I got a bit nervous since my education did not contain any US based high-school curriculum. However, after preparing a bit using a GED book I bought on Amazon, I took the test and passed without any problems. It turned out to be a lot easier than I expected.

The key is not to be frightened, just take it. If you graduated high school or earned your GED, you will pass. Even if you don't remember half of what you've learned.

Good luck!

1 comment: